I know you wanna punch me in the face after reading this outright ridiculous headline. But I promise--as you read the post--you’re gonna change your mind.
I know you are still doubtful. So, to make this outlandish claim sound reasonable, let me introduce you to the concept of “Polyphasic sleep.”
Well, in layman’s term, “Polyphasic sleep” pattern is a sleep schedule in which, instead of dozing 8 hours at a stretch, the sleeping you divide it into smaller chunks, so you end up feeling refreshed even if you snooze for a very short time.
If you adopt this plan, you can cut at least 3-4 hours of sleep time every day. It’s like having extra 24 hours per week.
Has anyone ever tried this?
· NIKOLA TESLA.
The inventor of alternating current, the Tesla coil and dozens of other crazy devices; used to sleep less than two hours daily and took short naps throughout the day.
![]() |
| EDISON |
· THOMAS EDISON.
Mentioning rivals—Tesla and Edison—was not intentional. Or maybe... Ahem..
Back to the point. Edison’s sleep duration ranged between 1.5-2 hours. He believed sleeping was a serious drain of time and always ensured his precious time was not blown in dozing and dreaming of light bulbs.
Few other people who used this method include Leonardo da Vinci, Salvador Dali, and Thomas Jefferson, etc.
Okay Cool. But, How Do I Do That?
To answer this question, Let me take you to the fascinating realm of—which is full of extra time—Polyphasic sleeping techniques.
But, first off, let’s see why they work.
We can divide our sleep into two broad types:
· NON-REM SLEEP
This is the unproductive period of sleep and—as per the general notion—does not help in memory consolidation and tissue regeneration.
· REM-SLEEP
This is the most effective period and the only necessary one.
So, now as you see the REM duration is all we need. With the help of the sleeping systems, you can reach that state and cut back on the wasteful one.
Okay, give me the techniques.
-Say no more.
THE EVERYMAN METHOD.
If you have a
9-to-5 job, this could be your go-to-system. This system includes 4-hours of
“Core sleep” at night and 3 thirty-minute naps at regular intervals during the
daytime.
Your schedule
may look something like this:
·
“Core sleep” from 11 AM to 3 AM
·
First nap from 8 AM to 8:30 AM
·
Second nap from 2 PM to 2:30 PM
·
And third one from 7 PM to 7:30 PM
·
You can always tweak the plan as per your convenience.
THE UBERMAN
METHOD.
Many tried,
most failed, and a few flourished while trying this system. You get a sleep of
2-hours every day and still want to avoid morning coffee after you adapt to it
successfully.
How do I do
it?
Take six naps
of less than 30 minutes. I suggest you take 6 of them for 20 minutes each.
Here’s the
sleep schedule you can try:
Snooze for
twenty minutes at- 2 PM, 6 PM, 10 PM, 2 AM, 6 AM and 10 AM.
Remember, you
are gonna act like a zombie
for the first two or three weeks if you attempt this. You need a rock-strong
willpower and a genuine purpose for doing it.
Therefore,
don’t try this if all you wanna do is buff your nails and watch Rick and Morty
in the extra time.
Conclusion.
I have tried
none of the above methods, nor do I have any intention of seeking them in
future as I cherish my sleep more than those extra hours. However, If you are
running on a tight schedule, trying them might give you a time boost.
Anyway, I’m
off for a short snooze. Cya!



Comments
Post a Comment